Day 13 - Sunday, February 28, 2021

Todays forecast is calling for showers all day but the radar does show a break in the rain so we are trying to take advantage of that window. Morning temperature was 43°. The rain will definitely effect the snow pack we experienced yesterday making it easier to hike. The snow should be completely gone by tomorrow. 

We are hiking today, continuing from the Blackburn AT Center (1013.5 NoBo) to Snickers Gap (1006.1 NoBo) which is in a section called the “roller coaster” because  of the continuous tightly packed ascents and descents (13.5 miles total length). We will hike the northern 3.5 miles of it today. Then if we have time and depending on how much wetter we feel like getting, we will hike the remaining section north from Route 340 Bridge in Harpers Ferry (1025.1 NoBo) north through Harpers Ferry and past the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to the Potomac River, Byron Memorial Footbridge (1026.3 NoBo) which is also the WV-Maryland state border.

We finally started hiking at 11:20 am. Later than we planned but we are learning that the designated parking areas in the AT Handbook are not that accurate... and the weatherman was right again... it’s raining, pouring to be more precise😑

I put on my poncho to keep dry but the snaps are not staying snapped and I’m finding myself constantly re-snapping them. Will have to glue them shut or duck tape them to keep the poncho closed. It was not a cheap poncho neither so I’m not happy with its performance; just another lesson learned on modifying my equipment.  


All aboard for the “Roller Coaster”! And you don’t need a FastPass like in Disney... step right up and no waiting! One steep downhill section caused me to slip and I had to catch myself with my left hand - one drink for Turtle Power;  but he owed me one so now we’re even. Luckily I didn’t have to use my right hand or I’m sure I would have have gone done costing me a dinner πŸ˜‰.


It’s amazing how the trail conditions have changed in less than 24 hours. Much of the snow melt is running right down the trail path. Compared to yesterday when we were hiking through 6”-8” snow. Surprisingly, this is sometimes the better place to walk as its surface is more stable. This is when the heavier gore-tex boots and shoes prove their worth. 





Yes, I am having fun... can’t you tell? This was right after my pole slipped off a rock when I was crossing a stream causing me to step into a deep hole in the water which was over my boot to catch myself...otherwise you know what would have resulted - another drink for Jim or worse, dinner. 



Crossing the VA/WV state border for the second time. 


More snow/rain run off in the trail. Did I say it would be easier to hike?

A gust of wind caught my poncho and blew it over my head blocking my vision just as I stepped from a rock, setting my trekking pole.  Needless to say my pole missed and down I went again - Turtle Power just took the drink advantage. I’m getting annoyed with my poncho. I tucked it in my pack belt to keep it out of my way. I’ll be fixing this problem tonight...

Hiking in the rain is not especially  fun, and hiking in the rain in winter only compounds the chances of potential problems. An unexperienced hiker could get in serious trouble rather quickly if you are not prepared - extra socks and gloves! 

We finished hiking this section at 3:20 pm. Due to the weather, we decided against backtracking and completing the section in Harpers Ferry. We will do that when we flip - flop and resume north. So, we ended up hiking 7.4 wet miles. 

Tomorrow weather will be a big improvement from today’s - no rain, partly sunny and upper 40’s πŸ˜‰. We are biting off a big piece, hiking 14+ miles. 

Till next time... Happy Hiking πŸ₯Ύ 

πŸ˜‹


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 107A & B - Sunday/Monday, July 18-19, 2021

Day 71 - Friday, May 21, 2021

The Final Chapter